Butterbredt/Cal City today 6/2

  • Steve & Priscilla Summers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2011
      I birded Butterbredt Spring this morning for about four hours starting at
      5:20a and then California City's Central Park after that for a little over
      an hour. Both places were more like late April-early May than early June,
      both in birds and temperatures. From 5:20a to about 6:00a a couple of
      hundred+ migrant passerines passed through the camping/parking lot trees.
      After that it slowed to more of a drizzle and other birders arrived (one
      from Fresno, one from Tulare and Bob Barnes with a Texas client in tow). I
      saw all regular western warbler species at Butterbredt except Nashville,
      Yellowthroat and Chat. Many tanagers and grosbeaks were moving through and
      lots of pewees and Warbling Vireos. Still several Western (Pac-slope)
      Flycathers around and several Willows and one Hammond's Flycatcher. A few
      Cassin's Vireos and several Swainson's Thrushes were present. One Cedar
      Waxwing and one Pine Siskin at Butterbredt were on the late side.

      Driving out through Jawbone Canyon I had to stop a couple of times to let
      broods of Chukars cross the road. Close to Hwy. 14 a LeConte's Thrasher flew
      across the road in front of me. California City was more of the same except
      fewer numbers. By noon the wind was getting pretty strong so I decided not
      to go to Galileo to look at probably more of the same and headed home.

      Steve Summers
      Porterville