Continuing and new birds

  • Steve & Priscilla Summers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2011
      This morning (1/30) the EASTERN PHOEBE at the Kern N.W.R. was in it's
      previously reported location along the tour route about 0.3-0.4 mi. from the
      beginning. At a little before noon there were about 150 SANDHILL CRANES on
      the east side of Wildwood Rd. about 0.5 miles south of the Garces Highway.
      The birds were at quit a distance. Just before 12:30p they all got up
      calling and circling high before heading north out of sight. I had called
      Alison Sheehey and Susan Steele, who had been birding at Buena Vista Lakes,
      when I first found them. They got there just in time to see the last of the
      cranes before they were out of sight. I assume the cranes may have been
      heading back to Pixley N.W.R. for the evening.

      Ali and Susan told me that they had seen a GLAUCOUS-WINGED AND THAYER'S GULL
      at Buena Vista earlier so together we headed down there. But first we made a
      stop at Wildwood and 7th Standard Rd. where they had found about 40
      SWAINSON'S HAWKS on their way up to see the cranes. They were sitting in the
      field and soaring in the air and some were roosting in nearby Eucs. All 40
      or so were still there when we returned. Nice sight for a January day.

      When we got to Buena Vista there were very few gulls but luckily the young
      Glaucous-winged and Thayer's were still there. As the afternoon continued
      gulls started streaming in. By 5:00p when we left there were several hundred
      California Gulls, a sprinkling of Ring-billed and Herring and, thanks to
      Susan's discerning eye, at least a couple more yg. Thayer's and 2-3 Thayer
      adults. The gulls were still streaming in from the south as we hurriedly
      left in the midst of an intense rain storm and as darkness was falling.

      Steve Summers
      Porterville