Eastern Kern co. May 24-28

  • Mike Tyner
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2010
      Just a quick post on vagrants in eastern Kern county last week.

      I birded Butterbredt spring for a few hours each day Monday-Friday. Monday evening had an OVENBIRD. Tuesday-Friday just had the singing male HOODED WARBLER. The Ovenbird apparently left sometime Monday evening. Missed the Indigo bunting. Very few, if any, migrants came up the canyon Thursday and Friday mornings. Quick checks along Kelso creek and Frog Spring off Kelso valley road on Thursday didn't produce any Brown-crested Flycatchers or anything unusual.

      Mid-day Tuesday at Galileo Hill had the KENTUCKY WARBLER, a NORTHERN PARULA singing from Eucalyptus near the horse stables, and Jon Dunn reported seeing a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER near the camping trailers.

      Good birding,

      Mike Tyner
      Big Sur