Information Request: Central Valley nesting White-faced Ibis

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 8:26 AM

      For those of you who do NOT subscribe to the Central Valley Birds list serv...

      HI CVBirders, if anyone has information on nesting White-faced Ibis
      in the central valley, please contact Rob Doster below. The email
      also describes the project and request for information by the USFWS.
      You can also request a spreadsheet from Rob to input your data.
      Thank you,
      Dawn Garcia
      Paradise

      In 2009, with the cooperation of many state partners, the Service's
      Migratory Bird Program began the Western Colonial Waterbird Survey
      (WCWS), a three-year initiative to identify information on
      distribution and abundance of colonial waterbirds in the western U.S.
      This survey is designed to determine the status of 17 species of
      waterbirds so as to identify conservation issues and refine
      conservation actions for these birds. This project also has the goals
      of production of an atlas of these waterbird colonies and
      establishing a baseline for long-term monitoring of waterbirds in the
      west. (For more information, see:
      <http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/birds/western_colonial/index.html>http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/birds/western_colonial/index.html)

      In 2010 we are focusing a portion of this effort on the nesting
      White-faced Ibis in California's Central Valley. I'm requesting your
      assistance in identifying any active ibis colonies in the Central
      Valley this year. If you know of White-faced Ibis colonies and have
      information on their location(s), size, and nesting success, I would
      appreciate your cooperation in providing these data to help with the
      overall effort.

      For your use, you may request from me a spreadsheet that is being
      used in the WCWS. Use of this spreadsheet is optional. If you would
      simply prefer to send me data via e-mail, I'll enter it into the
      spreadsheet. At a minimum I would request that you submit to me
      coordinates of colonies (UTM, NAD 83 preferred), the approximate size
      of the colony (direct nest count, if possible, and number of
      individual birds observed), and the conditions associated with your
      observations (date, time, and weather conditions). I may need to
      follow up with you for more information later as I compile the submissions.

      Finally, if you can also suggest anyone else working in your area
      that may know the whereabouts of nesting ibis, please share their
      contact information with me.

      If you have any questions regarding my request, please let me know.
      Many thanks for your help in this effort.

      Regards,
      Rob Doster

      Robert H. Doster, Ph.D.
      U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service