4/3/10 FOS Vaux's Swift and Yellow Warbler

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2010

      Saturday, April 3, 2010...

      HIGHLIGHTS of a long (4 miles, 5.33 hours) walk along the Kern River
      Preserve's Migrant Corner Trail were an singing male FOS YELLOW
      WARBLER where the trail ends at the large wet meadow (And, I do mean
      wet! Rubber dairy boots would have been preferable getting our shoes
      wet if we had known. But, we made the choice to take the option walk
      through the wetland in any case.) and a flock of 30 FOS VAUX'S SWIFTS
      over the wet meadow.

      The following report was generated automatically by eBird
      v2(http://ebird.org/california/)

      Location: Kern River Preserve--Migrant Corner Trail
      Observation date: Sa, 4/3/10
      Observers: Bob Barnes, John Blades, Helen McKinley
      Notes: 6:55am-12:15pm. 100% walking route from Sierra Way east to
      Palmer Forest (protruding south to north along Fay Creek from main
      South Fork Kern River riparian forest), then along hillside/alluvial
      fan interface back to Migrant Corner Trail and Sierra Way.

      Number of species: 49
      * Wood Duck 8
      * Mallard 18
      * California Quail 4
      * Turkey Vulture 4
      * Northern Harrier 2 Two brown individuals...
      * Red-shouldered Hawk 1
      * Red-tailed Hawk 3
      * American Kestrel 1
      * Merlin 1 Pursuing swallow flock of 100 individuals...
      * Mourning Dove 2
      * VAUX'S SWIFT 30 FOS. Besides gestalt I.D. all dark,
      short tail, twittering wings, and flight behavior, plus much smaller
      size in comparison to two swallows mixed in with this flock of 30
      clinched this I.D.
      * White-throated Swift 10 Followed Vaux's Swifts about an
      hour later.
      * Anna's Hummingbird 3 All males on territory...
      * Nuttall's Woodpecker 2
      * Downy Woodpecker 2
      * Hairy Woodpecker 1
      * Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 2
      * Black Phoebe 4
      * Western Kingbird 2
      * Common Raven 7
      * Horned Lark 4
      * Tree Swallow 5 Part of flock of 100 swallows...
      Surprised at proportionally low number...
      * Violet-green Swallow 70 Sixty were part of flock of 100
      swallows, followed throughout the morning by at least 10 more
      individuals passing by in ones and twos...
      * Northern Rough-winged Swallow 10 Part of flock of 100
      swallows...
      * Cliff Swallow 25 Part of flock of 100 swallows...
      * Oak Titmouse 4
      * White-breasted Nuthatch 2
      * Rock Wren 11 High count... But, much longer route than average.
      * Bewick's Wren 1
      * House Wren 16
      * Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6
      * Western Bluebird 2
      * American Robin 3
      * European Starling 15
      * YELLOW WARBLER 1 FOS. Seen and heard singing...
      * Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 1
      * Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 42
      * Common Yellowthroat 2 Both singing over and over and over...
      * California Towhee 2 Pair...
      * Lark Sparrow 2
      * Black-throated Sparrow 3 Three widely dispersed
      locations along route...
      * Song Sparrow 6
      * White-crowned Sparrow 8
      * Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 9
      * Red-winged Blackbird 75
      * Western Meadowlark 19
      * House Finch 30
      * Lesser Goldfinch 6
      * Lawrence's Goldfinch 7 FOS for this specific location...

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California