Vermilion Flycatcher continues near Kern River Bike Trail

  • wflydecker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2010
      Male Vermilion Flycatcher continues near Kern River Bike Trail at canal 1/4 mile east of Hwy 43 (Enos Lane), 2-3 miles north of I-5. Kern Audubon Society field trip of fourteen today observed the bird.

      To reach location, walk east from Bike Trail Parking Lot located just north of the Kern River on the east side of Hwy 43. Walk about 1/4 mile on bike trail crossing the Kern River (usually dry). Approach a canal on your right. Where the canal goes under the bike trail, look with binocular and/or scope east down the canal for Black Phoebe, Common Moorhen, raptors in trees, Green Heron, and other birds. Access along the south bank to the canal is ok on the pavement up to the post where there is a sign saying no-trespassing. If the Vermilion Flycathcher is present, you may see it perched on bushes, trees or flitting about. If you don't see the Vermilion Flycatcher, look down the canal using your optical gear and check out trees and other spots. Enjoy looking at the warblers, kinglets, sparrows, and other birds. The Vermilion Flycatcher moves around and it might show up. Be patient.

      I have posted pictures of male Vermilion Flycatchers in the album Vermilion Flycatchers on this website. Vermilion Flycatcher may be a resident of the area but I have not observed any female birds or more that one male bird. I have observed a male Vermilion Flycatcher in each winter 2007-10 along the Kern Bike trail. Last June, a male Vermilion Flycatcher was present for some time at Tule Elk Preserve.

      Happy birding,

      Bill Lydecker