unknown bird, please help ID

  • eremico
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
      Attached is photo (sorry for quality) of bird I saw this morning on my walk thru the neighborhood. It's in Denise Album. I initially saw if before dawn, without binocs. It was on the ground. It had a long, broad wing bar. Head appeared darker than rest of body. When it flew, it had white tip tail (all rectrices, as in a Eastern Kingbird). When I went back to spot with binocs, I saw it briefly and photographed it. Breast was spotted/streaky. Broad, long wing bar. It was kinda streaky, light brownish/golden on back. Face had a pattern (a couple of streaks, don't know exactly). I was more interested on getting a photo. It flew off with the click of the camera. It was about the size of a Sage Trasher or a bit smaller. There was also a SATH in the vicinity. It called when flying ("trip").

      Thanks,
      Denise
      ___________________
      Denise LaBerteaux
      Weldon, CA 93283
      760-378-3021 office and fax
      760-617-6306 mobile
      eremico@...
    • dan_cooper_90042
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hi Denise,

        Appears to be a Lark Bunting. A few have been reported around the state the past couple weeks, but (obviously) this is a great find in Kern Co. (Good thing you had a camera - I wasn't thinking "sparrow" from your description!)

        I assume you guys still put out birdseed? It might stick around, though most of our birds on the coast here are one-day (or one-minute) wonders...

        Dan Cooper
        Los Angeles