California City Eastern Kingbird

  • vernonhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009
      Today (Wed, 9/30/09) I birded Galileo from 7-10am and California City from 10:30am-1:30pm. The day started out cold (51 degrees) and breezy. It was breezy to windy the rest of the day.

      In California City a very cooperative EASTERN KINGBIRD was at the par-three golf course in Central Park. I think this is a fairly late date for this species. It was feeding from the chain-link fence that separates the apartments and the golf course near the 16th and 17th tees (near the end of the lake and the highway). In general California City was birdy. Of interest (to me) were a Townsend's Solitaire (near the abandoned hotel in Central Park), a Prairie Falcon, a single Vaux's Swift, and a female Vermillion Flycatcher.

      At Galileo migrants were hard to find. It was almost like the birds were swept out with a broom since last Saturday. Of interest were a Hermit Warbler and a Red-breasted Nuthatch. Please note that access (without paying) to Galileo is restricted to weekdays. At 6:45am when I was getting things out of the car a worker came up and asked me to check in with security. After talking for a while she said that she would radio security for me. She wanted me to feel welcome but to be aware of the rules.

      Good luck and good birding,
      Vernon Howe
      Riverside, CA