Su, 30 Aug 09 Kern San Joaquin Valley

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2009

      Alison Sheehey and I carpooled from the Kern River Valley to a deeply
      stiring memorial event for Like Cole in Delano Sunday afternoon. We
      found Rob Hansen and Jeff Seay there as well.

      We spent the birding our way to the above via several locations on
      the San Joaquin Valley floor of Kern County.

      A Greater White-fronted Goose continued at Lake Ming in the company
      of a flock of 16 Canada Geese.

      Hart Park had a male Ring-necked Duck first found by Alison. Three
      Belted Kingifishers were the first of this species to be reported to
      eBird in August.

      Union Cemetery produced one calling Spotted Dove.

      A flock of 17 Swainson's Hawks were in and over a just being cut
      alfalfa field alongside the south side Hwy 46 west of Wasco between
      Wildwood Rd and McKibben Road.

      While this spring and summer's Ruddy Ducks and White-faced Ibis were
      undetected on Kern National Wildlife Refuge the reintroduction of
      water in past days had already attracted 100s (1000s?) of Northern
      Pintails plus various numbers of Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard,
      Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, and Redhead.

      A Nuttall's Woodpecker was in he same group of trees where one was
      found in early May. Three Greater Roadrunners were seen along the
      Auto Tour Route at the refuge.

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County