re: Galileo rules

  • thomasgezamiko
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2009

      Can't we (who is "we"?) get them to let us in, after charging an entry fee? I would be perfectly happy to pay a day use fee. That's why I --and many other birders--eat at the restaurant (it's a guilt meal). Think about how much money you spend on gas to get there from L.A., Orange, or even (gasp) San Diego County.

      On the other hand, I moan about paying entry fees at "public" i.e. county parks, where there may or may not be birds, but I may want to take my kids, so they can play. Bonelli Regional Park in L.A. is a good example. As a resident who pays o a lot of local taxes in L.A., I resent being charged so much ($10?) to enter. There are plenty of free parks in the Pomona Valley, and also lots of birding habitat. But, Galileo is very different: it's the only habitat out in the middle of nowhere.

      Tom
    • Jean Brandt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2009
        NO. We are very lucky that they will let birders on the property Monday thru
        Friday noon. This came about after some very serious discussions with the
        people at Silver Saddle. Just pay close attention to their directives and
        hope that things will change in the future. We don't want birders to give
        them any reason to close the place entirely.

        Jean Brandt

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2009
          Wasn't this place in financial dire straits? They could make some
          money off of us by charging birders admission. This is one place that
          I'd be glad to pay for.

          Dany Sloan
          Los Angeles, CA

        • Wanda Dameron
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24, 2009
            Many Thanks to those that tried to work something out....

            Out of curiosity, did they give any reasons of what prompted their
            decision?

            This really hurts employed people that only have the weekends. While
            they aren't normally allowed to stay over then, had heard if they
            weren't full, they were making exceptions this last spring.

            I started staying in California City and later Silver Saddle many years
            ago when illness prevented much travelling, still liked to bird and
            nearby lodging allowed me to crash. Enjoyed it so much, have continued
            the practice and know the Kyles and others have spent the midweek
            lodging there even tho the restaurant isn't open. I was surprized and
            pleased how many others often stayed a night or two this last spring.
            Plus at least one birdgroup schedules outings there on a Monday, staying
            over Sun. night that does help their income.

            Has anything come of a possible WFO sponsored midweek gathering this
            fall to promote other overnighters, goodwill and income for them? We
            can all see what became of Calif. City and don't want the same outcome
            there.....

            Cheers,
            Wanda Dameron
            West San Fernando Valley