Greenhorn Mountains: North from 6102' Greenhorn Summit

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2009

      Tu, 23 Jun 09, Greenhorn Mountains North from 6102' Greenhorn Summit
      to 8300' high Sunday Peak, Sequoia National Forest, Southern Sierra
      Nevada, Kern County, California.

      Yesterday (Tu, 23 Jun 09), my objective was to search for SOOTY
      GROUSE at this species' currently known southern limit of its range
      on and around Sunday Peak in the Kern County portion of the Greenhorn
      Mountains in Sequoia National Forest within a mile of the Tulare
      County line. Even though I have found Sooty Grouse to go silent for
      large parts of June, I thought it would be worth a try. BOTTOM LINE:
      NO DETECTIONS. So, a try again in July when, in my experience,
      consistent calling on the part of males starts again.

      This report combines species and numbers observed at three adjacent
      locations ... total elevation range 6102'-8300':
      1. 6am-6:30am, the 6 miles of dirt Sequoia National Forest road FS
      24S15 north from Greenhorn Summit to the Tulare County line (on the
      way to Sunday Peak Trail). GPS Reading (at 6102' Greenhorn Summit
      junction of CA Hwy 155 and Sequoia National Forest road FS 24S15): N
      35 44' 19.8", W 118 33' 22.6". Driving slowly with windows down with
      very brief stops at a few locations to further pin down calls and/or
      songs (e.g.: Olive-sided Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler). A 6 mile drive
      using an 09 Toyota Corolla.

      2. 6:30am-11:30am, 1.5 mile long Sunday Peak Trail, Greenhorn
      Mountains, Sequoia National Forest, from FS 24S15 at 7250' to the
      summit of 8300' Sunday Peak. GPS Readings: N 35 46' 56.0"; W 118 35'
      05.7"; weather at 9am at summit: 57.5F, 28% humidity, winds to
      9.3kph, clear skies. A three mile round trip hike.

      3. 12:15pm-12:30pm, Tiger Flat, 4.1 miles north along FS 24S15 from
      Greenhorn Summit, Greenhorn Mountains, Sequoia National Forest,
      during a brief 15 minute stop to get GPS Readings: N 35 46' 38.1", W
      118 34' 07.2"; 6600' elevation. Virtually a standing single point count.

      HIGHLIGHT: From along Sunday Peak Trail just below Sunday Peak -
      looking down on an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER with an OUTSTANDING SHOWING
      of its STRIKING & EXTENSIVE ORANGE CROWN.

      SPECIES & NUMBERS in (TOTAL, then FS 25S16, Sunday Peak Trail, Tiger
      Flat order in parentheses):
      Band-tailed Pigeon 2 (0,2,0)
      Mourning Dove 1 (1,0,0)
      Red-breasted Sapsucker 3 (0,3,0)