Galileo Redux 31 May 09

  • wurstertom
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 9:18 PM
      Hi all,

      May 31st birds and weather were much the same as yesterday, though slightly warmer and slightly lowner numbers of western migrants.

      Birders outnumbered offical guests which made for good birding.

      Liga and I started the day alone but met and mixed with a cadre of other birders as the day progressed. They included Jeff Seay, Mark and Janet Scheel, Tom Edell, Maggie Smith, Alan Schmierer, Keith Kwan (sp?), Dan Guthrie, and others.

      Fortunately, highlight birds were cooperative and readily refound by each arriving group.

      1 male Acorn Woodpecker continued, prsent for at least 2 weeks

      the silent Yellow-throated Vireo that Liga found yesterday sang frequently today, and was readily findable

      yesterday's Red-eyed Vireo continued to be elusive and was seen by only Tom and Dan

      today there were 2 Northern Parulas - a singing male and a female - Liga and I found the female in the blooming ocotillo at the main entry kiosk as we were leaving this afternoon. Shortly thereafter Mark and Janet checked the ocotillo and observed both the female and a male (the male had been seen/heard singing briefly by others earlier in the day, but was generally very elusive).

      we saw 3 Black-and-white Warblers today - two continuing SY males each distinguisable by plumage, and a new female. We encountered the males constantly as they moved widely throughout the park, singing incessantly.

      2 male American Redstarts continued, both SY males distinguiable by plumage marks, both sang frequently.

      a female Hooded Warbler was reported by Dan Guthrie only.

      at least 2, but likely 3 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks continued from earlier in the week - 1 or 2 SY males, and a female.

      we saw 2 Indigo Buntings - a tailess but otherwise gorgeous male (with a white patch medially on the lower belly), and a female - both likely continued from earlier in the week.

      Elsewhere, in Cal City, the SLO Co contingent showed Liga and I a female Black-throated Blue Warbler in Central Park (found by Keith and photographed by Alan). It was working the "piney knolls," north the the lake (abandoned hotel side), near the wooden arch bridge.

      Tom Wurster and Liga Auzins
      Monrovia, Ca