Fw: [kerncobirding] Sa, 28 Feb 09: FOS Kern Valley Rufous Hummingbird

  • Bob and Susan Steele
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 6:27 AM
      O BTW, Common Snipe should be Wilson's Snipe. Lack of update in bird names in my database. Susan

      4pm, Saturday, February 28, 2009
      Observer: Bob Barnes

      First of Spring Rufous Hummingbird (adult male). Observed at a feeder
      at a private home in the community of Mountain Mesa (on the south
      shore of Isabella Reservoir), Kern River Valley, northern Kern County.

      19-23 Feb is often the period for FOS Rufous Hummingbirds in the Kern
      River Valley. It is possible (likely?) that someone may have observed
      one earlier this month and not posted the observation on this list
      serv. Information on earlier sightings of Rufous Hummingbird this
      spring is welcome.

      I am hopeful birders will post FOS observations of each species, even
      common species, as they arrive in/pass through Kern County during
      spring migration and for the 09 nesting season. Such information
      helps complete the picture of arrivals for the year and provide
      comparisons with all prior years at minimum. For example, such
      information has shown that the first singing males arrive on
      territory at the Kern River Preserve at the end March/very early
      April, more than a month earlier than the mid-May peak of Yellow
      Warblers passing through.

      Regardless, continued happy & productive birding,

      Bob Barnes
      Ridgecrest, Kern County