KWR birds and north, Sanderlings

  • macbirder1
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2009
      Birders: Yesterday, Saturday, February 8, Gary File and I spent the
      morning birding the Kern Wildlife Refuge and points north and east.
      The ducks on the refuge are very skittish, from hunting season.
      Nothing of note on the refuge. As we headed north on Corcoran Rd.,
      Gary spotted a FERRUGINOUS HAWK on a telephone pole. And as we reached
      Virginia Ave., a flooded field provided the first of hundreds of
      DUNLINS. It was certainly the most Dunlins I've ever seen in one
      place. Several of the fields in that area are flooded, and as we
      progressed east on Virginia Ave., we found three SANDERLINGS among the
      LEAST AND (few) WESTERN SANDPIPERS and continued predominance of
      DUNLINS. Among the gulls, HERRINGS were the most interesting,
      unfortunately. No big, white gulls to be found anywhere. We had
      flocks of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and SANDHILL CRANES fly over,
      during the morning.