Yellow-rumped Warbler question, please

  • kwpenland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2009
      When I first moved to Pine Mountain last February, I was surprised to
      find a YRWA visiting my feeder/deck on March 2 after a heavy snow.
      Figuring it was just an early spring migrant, I gave it no more
      thought. Then on November 1, a mini-irruption of 50+ YRWAs swarmed the
      pines around my place and then were gone a few minutes later. Again,
      assuming they either were blown in by strong winds we'd had or, less
      likely, late fall migrants.

      Today, a solitary YRWA hit the suet on my deck. I know warblers will
      stuff anything they can get into their beaks if they're hungry enough
      and no insects around, but this kinda surprised me both for the timing
      and because we've had single-digit nights on that deck in the last month.

      My question: YRWA is a seasonal migratory species in the
      high-elevation (7,000 ft.) area where I lived in northern Arizona. But
      are YRWA year-round residents at this slightly lower elevation in Kern
      County?

      Many thanks for any info!

      Katy Penland
      Pine Mountain, CA