Galileo today

  • Koonce, Sandy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
      Tom Wurster, Liga Auzins, and I birded Galileo this morning, joined by Brad Singer. In spite of the at times heavy rain, we did see a few good birds. A VARIED THRUSH was in the courtyard, and a PINE SISKIN was near the archery range. Tom found a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER in what he termed "high juvenile plumage" in the "sapsucker tree" near the stables. Brad found an interesting RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER that appeared to have some RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER genes, near the Pavilion. The highlight was a HY DICKCISSEL found by Tom and Liga in the desert brush east of the soccer field.

      Overall, there were very few birds at Galileo, including only a handful of Yellow-rumped Warblers.

      Sandy

      Sandy Koonce
      Department of Mathematics
      University of Redlands, Redlands, CA 92373
      sandy_koonce@...

    • dgingt22
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2011
        Spent about an hour at Galileo this morning, did not see the scarlet tanager. Wintery birds there included a Purple Finch, Golden-crowned sparrow, Townsend's solitaire, two Slate-colored juncos, a Sooty Fox sparrow and a Swamp sparrow. The Swamp sparrow was in the tiny patch of cattails at the west end of the lake. Good birding, Dave Goodward