More from Galileo

  • asekoonce
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2008
      I forgot to mention that at Galileo today there was also a flock of
      about 20 CEDAR WAXWINGS, a bit on the early side, as well as two
      AMERICAN ROBINS, including one that still showed considerable spotting
      on the breast. Does anyone know if juveniles migrate before losing
      this plumage?

      Sandy
    • Thomas Miko
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2008
        Hi Sandy et al,

        I had a strange myiarchus at California City park this morning: looked good for an Ash-throated Flycatcher, but it was a pale, dirty white from the chin to the vent, with not even a hint of yellow. I only had a Sibley with me, and it didn't help. When I got home and looked at Nat Geo, I realized that it was an Ash-throated, but the ventral paleness was new to me. It almost looked like a really skinny Thick-billed Kingbird. (BTW how come Sibley doesn't have Red-tailed Tropicbird?). There were also a lone Cedar Waxwing, here at Cal City, and many singing Lark Sparrows.

        Also, at Galileo 2 Vaux's Swifts flew over.

        Tom

        >From: asekoonce <sandy_koonce@...>
        >Date: 2008/09/06 Sat PM 06:57:48 CDT
        >To: kerncobirding@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [kerncobirding] More from Galileo

        >I forgot to mention that at Galileo today there was also a flock of
        >about 20 CEDAR WAXWINGS, a bit on the early side, as well as two
        >AMERICAN ROBINS, including one that still showed considerable spotting
        >on the breast. Does anyone know if juveniles migrate before losing
        >this plumage?
        >
        >Sandy

        Thomas Miko (Mi'ko' Tama's)

        thomas.miko@...
        thomas_miko@...

        653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
        Claremont, CA 91711
        U.S.A.
        34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

        home: (909) 445-1456
        cell: (626) 390-1935
        work: (213)923-3944

        “We are not punished for our sins, but by them.”---Elbert Hubbard