Re: [kerncobirding] Western Tanager, south of Weldon

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2008
      Denise,

      At 08:02 AM 7/24/2008, you wrote:
      "We have a Western Tanager in our yard this morning, 10 miles south
      of Weldon off of Kelso Valley Road. Is it an early fall migrant or
      just down from the Piute Mtn fire area?"

      We have had WETAs on past South Fork Kern River Valley Rapid
      Assessment Summer Bird Counts. Those counts were held during the 5-12
      July time period in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2007. I always
      assumed the WETAs detected on those counts were "First of Fall"
      migrants as there were no apparent factors like fire driving them
      down-mountain from nearby areas. However, the fires this year almost
      by definition must have had an impact on bird usage of the fire areas
      and may have, even likely have, driven birds out of the fire area at
      a minimum. So, I have no real answer except that I suspect the WETA
      you observed in your yard this morning could have been either a
      migrant (but, not an early migrant) or a bird displaced by fire
      and/or flood impacts.

      FYI: Matt Heindel's 2000 Birds of Eastern Kern County (available on
      the Kern County page of Joe Morlan's California Birding Pages) lists
      the span of fall migration THROUGH the east Kern desert as "...9 July
      to 15 October with a peak from mid-August to mid-September."

      Continued Happy & Productive Birding,

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest