birders behaving badly -- and birds this AM at Butterbredt and in the Piutes

  • Bob and Susan Steele
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2008
      Greetings, Bob and I started the day at Butterbredt. Lowlite of the morning were fellow birders. Yep, we pulled up to the parking area and what to my wondering eyes should appear, no it wasn't Santa and eight tiny reindeer. It was campers and six empty Pabst Blue Ribbon beer cans laying on the ground about their car. I also really appreciated their sleeping at the spring and using it as their sand box. Sweet. So, when you two read this, please take this as an invitation to stay in Santa Cruz. BTW, they did manage to eventually pick up their beer cans, but only because the wind was calm and the cans hadn't blown out into the desert. And since everyone deserves their 15 minutes of fame, I added a photo under the birders behaving badly photo album, so everyone can share in my joy.

      This is the end of my public service announcement, now onto the birds.

      Butterbredt had good numbers of Warbling Vireo, YR Warbler, OC Warbler, BTG Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, and Nashville Warbler. I also managed to see Mac Warbler, Blue Grosbeak, Lazuli Bunting, Larry's Goldfinch, AT Flycatcher, Western Flycatcher, Gray Flycatcher, Hermit Thrush, Nutgall's Woodie, Chipping Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, WC Sparrow, Costa's Hummer, RB Nuthatch, CA Thrasher, Bewicks' and Rock Wren, MT Quail, BH Grosbeak, GC Sparrow, RC Kinglet, Lesser Goldfinch, RW Blackbird, House Finch, House Sparrow, Great Horned Owl, Bullock's Oriole. Western Tanager, CA Quail, Dusky Flycatcher, Mourning Dove,

      Then we headed up in the Piutes to Lander Meadow and then tried to go out via Bodfish, but turned around due to snow on the road. Still a bit early in the season and no Evening Grosbeaks. Bummer. We did have Clark's Nutcracker, Stellar's Jay, Oak Titmouse, Pygmy and WB Nuthatches, Robin, Spotted Towhee, VG Swallow, Hairy Woodie, Scrub Jay, Junco, Western Bluebird, Chipping Sparrow, YR Warbler.

      Susan
      Inyokern, CA