Two Red-necked Grebes, Two Loon Species

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hi,

      This is your surrogate reporter again. I don't get to see them, I
      just get to post them.

      Alison Sheehey just called from Isabella Reservoir (I am at home in
      Ridgecrest, 1.25+ hours away with a week of work in front of me.) She
      reports that there are TWO RED-NECKED GREBES at Isabella Reservoir in
      the Sierra Nevada of Kern County. Alison found them in the cove
      between the French Gulch Marina and the boat patrol "marina." One was
      by itself. The other was mixed in with the Western and Clark's Grebes.

      Alison also picked out two loons at a distance. She passed on that
      one was larger than the other. But, they were too distant to identify
      to species. After a local chore, she is going back to try and get
      closer to determine species. The assumption is that one might be a
      continuing Pacific Loon. The other? With the first observation period
      ended, she believes it is not a Common Loon.

      Bob "The Surrogate Reporter" Barnes
      Ridgecrest, Kern County, California

    • Alison Sheehey
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
        As reported earlier by Bob Barnes...."picked out two loons at a distance."

        After analyzing the photos the other loon turns out to be a Common Loon next
        to the previously reported Pacific Loon on Lake Isabella. Unfortunately,
        several fishermen descended upon the point where I was making my way to get
        closer photographs. The loons disappeared and I could not refind them (but I
        don't have a scope either)

        I did not see the Horned Grebes today, but all other species of grebes were
        resting and foraging on the bay at French Gulch. The best view if the wind
        is not too bad is from the Nuui Cunni / French Gulch Campground side of the
        Bay. This area is off of Highway 155 between Lake Isabella and Wofford
        Heights.

        Wednesday is the end of count week for the Kern Valley Christmas Count and
        begins count week for the South Fork CBC, if anyone birds either territory,
        please note your birds. Saturday's weather is predicted to be rainy so
        Wednesday's birds in the South Fork area may be of great significance.

        Good birding,

        Ali

        Alison Sheehey
        P.O. Box 153
        Weldon, CA 93283

        760-378-2029
        http://natureali.org - "Sharing the magic of central California's
        biodiversity with the world."

        P.S. Join us for the 30th Annual Kern Valley Christmas Bird Count on
        December 30th, and the 17th Annual South Fork Christmas Bird Count on
        January 5th.