Buena Vista - Grebes and Gulls

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2007
      Birders,

      I birded the Buena Vista recreation area early this morning. In
      addition to the continuing Red-necked Grebe there were also two
      Horned Grebes at paking lot 3 on the west end.

      I was also suprised to see a 1st Cycle Western Gull in the large gull
      flock loafing on the water east of parking lot 3. There was also an
      adult Thayer's Gull in this group of Gulls. I have only seen a
      handful of adult Thayer's in Southern California. These gulls were
      sitting on the water, but were up moving about within an hour of
      daybreak.

      scanning from parking Lot 2, I was able to relocate the Western Gull,
      and all also found a 1st cycle Glaucous-winged Gull.

      There were also at least 2 Herring Gulls (adult and 1 cycle)mixed in
      with the numerous California and Ring-billed Gulls.

      A very impressive morning in Kern!

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Marina Del Rey CA
    • Alison Sheehey
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2007

        Since Buena Vista Lake Aquatic Recreation area is the subject of so many
        good reports in the past few days and it is the center of one of the CBCs I
        compile, PLEASE report ANY sightings from count day, 22 December, even of
        non-rarities to me.
        IF anyone who has not posted sightings and birded BV Lake between Wed. Dec.
        19 and Tues. Dec 25 and saw any of these birds or any other bird, they count
        as count week for the BV CBC.

        The count circle includes the western portions of Bakersfield just west of
        Buena Vista Road, the City of Bakersfield Water Bank, Kern Water Bank,
        Cole's Levee Ecosystem Preserve, eastern portions of Elk Hills, all of the
        towns of Tupman and Dustin Acres, Buena Vista Lake ARA, and private land
        within the original lake bed. I have posted a map of the circle in the
        photos folder.

        FYI, Along Hill Road east of Buena Vista Road, during Saturday's count there
        was a beautiful dark phased Ferruginous Hawk (presumably a male as it is
        pretty small). If you take the roads that circumnavigate the original lake
        bed, it is a raptor paradise. Union to Coles Levee to Pieri to Hill to South
        Lake Road coming out at Gardner Field Road.

        I have one report remaining outstanding but have posted the preliminary
        results of the count for your benefit below. If you live within the count
        circle or happened to be in the neighborhood on Saturday or any part of
        count week and recall a bird not listed, please let me know right away.
        Please reply to me offlist unless it is a rare species of greater interest.
        Thank you!

        07/08 Species
        35 Canada Goose
        26 Gadwall
        28 American Wigeon
        188 Mallard
        17 Northern Shoveler
        5 Green-winged Teal
        17 Canvasback
        21 Lesser Scaup
        149 Bufflehead
        632 Common Merganser
        61 Ruddy Duck
        34 Duck sp.
        72 California Quail
        41 Pied-billed Grebe
        cw Red-necked Grebe
        10 Eared Grebe
        43 Western Grebe
        11 Clark's Grebe
        17 Aechmophorus sp.
        97 American White Pelican
        60 Double-crested Cormorant
        1 American Bittern
        37 Great Blue Heron
        61 Great Egret
        25 Snowy Egret
        5 Green Heron
        70 Black-crowned Night-Heron
        10 Osprey
        11 White-tailed Kite
        22 Northern Harrier
        3 Sharp-shinned Hawk
        8 Cooper's Hawk
        82 Red-tailed Hawk
        3 Ferruginous Hawk
        2 Golden Eagle, Adults
        1 Golden Eagle, Immatures
        35 American Kestrel
        1 Merlin
        2 Virginia Rail
        2 Sora
        593 American Coot
        43 Killdeer
        27 Black-necked Stilt
        31 American Avocet
        56 Greater Yellowlegs
        1 Long-billed Curlew
        53 Least Sandpiper
        2 Dunlin
        103 Long-billed Dowitcher
        3 Wilson's Snipe
        363 Ring-billed Gull
        603 California Gull
        9 Herring Gull
        5945 gull sp.
        23 Rock Pigeon
        21 Eurasian Collared-Dove
        547 Mourning Dove
        1 Greater Roadrunner
        2 Barn Owl
        10 Great Horned Owl
        8 Burrowing Owl
        2 Anna's Hummingbird
        6 Belted Kingfisher
        23 Northern (Red-shafted) Flicker
        45 Black Phoebe
        17 Say's Phoebe
        20 Loggerhead Shrike
        8 Western Scrub-Jay
        212 American Crow
        164 Common Raven
        48 Horned Lark
        cw Mountain Chickadee
        6 Bewick's Wren
        2 House Wren
        54 Marsh Wren
        35 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
        10 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
        5 Hermit Thrush
        19 American Robin
        26 Northern Mockingbird
        2 California Thrasher
        1389 European Starling
        209 American Pipit
        7 Orange-crowned Warbler
        479 Yellow-rumped (Audubon's) Warbler
        3 Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler
        7 Common Yellowthroat
        4 Spotted Towhee
        2 Vesper Sparrow
        119 Lark Sparrow
        2 Sage Sparrow
        143 Savannah Sparrow
        1 Fox Sparrow
        70 Song Sparrow
        12 Lincoln's Sparrow
        1236 White-crowned Sparrow
        16 Golden-crowned Sparrow
        1 Sparrow sp.
        154 Dark-eyed (Oregon) Junco
        493 Red-winged Blackbird
        376 Western Meadowlark
        1053 Brewer's Blackbird
        18 Great-tailed Grackle
        522 House Finch
        33 Lesser Goldfinch
        83 American Goldfinch
        51 House Sparrow

        Alison Sheehey
        P.O. Box 153
        Weldon, CA 93283

        760-378-2029
        http://natureali.org - "Sharing the magic of central California's
        biodiversity with the world."

        P.S. Join us for the 30th Annual Kern Valley Christmas Bird Count on
        December 30th, and the 17th Annual South Fork Christmas Bird Count on
        January 5th.