Northern Goshawk (dead) at Galileo 28 Oct 2007

  • Liga Auzins
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2007
      This morning Liga Auzins and I found the remains of a recently dead
      immature Northern Goshawk at Galileo Hill Park. The only previous
      record for this location was an immature on 31 Oct 1999.

      We joined forces with Kelli Levinson for the latter part of the
      morning, then headed to Ridgecrest (Cerro Coso College) on our own in
      the early afternoon.

      Birds of interest follow.

      1 Hooded Merganser, a female at Galileo, was early for eastern Kern
      region.

      2 Nashville Warblers in Ridgecrest, and single Yellow (very dull
      female) and Wilson's (male) warblers at Galileo, were all on the late
      side.

      1 Ovenbird at Galileo is likely the latest found in the region.
      Kelli initially found it by the Pavilion, and later refound it on the
      stable lawn were we saw it.

      Multiple Slate-colored and single Pink-sided juncoes were in the
      junco flocks at both Galileo and Ridgecrest. The Gray-headed Junco
      continued at Galileo.

      3 Purple Finches in one day is an exceptional count in eastern Kern
      (average of only 2-4/season listed in Matt Heindel's excellent
      manuscript on status of birds in eastern Kern). Liga spotted the
      first, a female at Galileo. Liga, Kelli, and I all studied it
      carefully to eliminate female Cassin's Finch, noting the curved
      culmen, unstreaked undertail coverts, more strongly defined face
      pattern, and especially the pit call notes). It was latter joined by
      a male. Liga then showed me another male at Ridgecrest.

      5 Red Crossbills, Kelli pointed them out, working the pine cones at
      Galileo. Three or more of them were red adult males. All were large
      bodied and large billed, call notes were typical "kyip" notes to my
      ear.

      Other birds of continuing interest at Galileo included the adult Red-
      shouldered Hawk, female Nuttall's Woodpecker, and adult female
      Vermilion Flycatcher.

      Counts of other montane species still present at Galileo and/or
      Ridgecrest:
      5+ Red-breasted Nutchatch
      4+ Golden-crowned Kinglet
      1 Townsend Solitaire
      2 Cassin's Finch
      5 Pine Siskin.

      The cottonwood leaves are yellowing and dropping fast. Winter is not
      far away in eastern Kern Co.

      Tom Wurster and Liga Auzins
      Monrovia
    • Barb Walls
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2007
        I have a Western Meadowlark visiting my feeder/yard (across from Upjohn Park). It's been around since October 18th.

        I still have Costa's, Anna's, and black chinned hummers. I didn't see a Rufous this weekend.
        The Cooper's Hawk swooped down and helped itself to the finch/sparrow buffet at the feeder. It was dramatic...I was in the yard planting bulbs, and I looked over to catch him swooping down into the backyard --it was a chaotic cacophany of finches, sparrows, and mourning doves caught in a crazy panic.

        I had no idea having bird feeders would provide this kind of drama.

        Barb Walls