Spotted Owl, Breckenridge Mountain

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2007
      Birders: Gary File and I were out last night with Tom and David Pavlik
      from Michigan, Judith Sparhawk from Redlands, and Steve Williams from
      Bakersfield. Satisfying views of a singing SPOTTED OWL hilighted the
      owling activities. The Flam report is not news to veteran owlers:
      heard but not seen were a distant pair of Flams giving location calls
      back and forth, but they never came close enough for even satisfactory
      vocal identification for the group. Other owls were very hard to come
      by, as well, although we spent an inordinate amount of time on the
      Flams. In the same area where I had multiple birds two weeks ago,
      there was nothing! Like I say, that's not a new story. We had several
      NORTHERN PYGMY OWLS, once the sun was up. Gary and I had NASHVILLE,
      BLACK-THROATED GRAY, AND ORANGE CROWNED WARBLERS on the way down the
      hill. The last bird of the day was a GOLDEN EAGLE well down the
      mountain.