Not rare, but Flams, No. Pygmy's, Screeches

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007
      Birders: Gary File and I spent a delightful morning in the Greenhorn
      Mountains, northeast of Bakersfield. We found an almost-cooperative
      FLAMMULATED OWL that wouldn't quite come close enough to view. We had
      several WESTERN SCREECH-OWLS, including a youngster right alongside
      Highway 155 on the way up. As the morning progressed, we had a
      delightful visit from a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL in broad daylight. The only
      other owl species was BARN, of which we saw or heard six. The world's
      population of MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES was joined by the usual montane
      species for the rest of the morning. It's dry up there. Very, very
      dry.