Pixley NWR Birding

  • Alison Sheehey
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9 11:28 AM
      Valley Birders

      A quick two hour tour up to Pixley Refuge in Tulare County yielded some
      great birds. Got there around 10. By 10:15 I heard the distinctive
      cackle of Sandhill Cranes.

      In the freshly plowed field southwest of the refuge I found about 1000.
      The west side of the refuge had another 1000.

      Nice Rough-legged Hawk, and Merlin. Couple hundred curlews. One strange
      passerine that I could not identify. Very chocolate brown heavily
      streaked all over about 6.5 ". Feeding in fields with vesper and
      savannah sparrows as well as Am Pipits and Horned Larks.

      The official Fish & Wildlife Service website for Kern and Pixley Refuges
      are found within my Nature Ali site. (I am the volunteer webmaster for
      them as well as a gazillion others).

      The addresses are:
      www.natureali.com/pixley.htm
      www.natureali.com/KNWR.htm

      Alison Sheehey
      3518 N. Chester Ave. #3
      Bakersfield, CA 93308

      Nature Ali - www.NatureAli.com *
      Educating the world about Kern County, *
      California's unique biodiversity. *
      www.kernaudubon.org
      www.valleywild.org
      www.parrotproject.org