Kern Valley CBCs

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi Birders

      Both the South Fork and Kern River Valley CBCs were held in beautiful
      weather. So, many wonderful birders came up to help. The bird counts held no
      records for number of species but the quality was first rate.

      On the South Fork CBC, Sandra Wieser and I found Red-naped, Red-breasted and
      Williamson's Sapsuckers along with White-headed, Downy and Nuttall's
      Woodpeckers at Scodie Park in Onyx. During the day we also found Acorn
      Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker and Northern Flicker. Another party found
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker in the Joshua Tree forest.

      So a very good woodpecker day on Saturday...

      On Sunday the owling team of Gary File and Michael McQuerrey rounded out an
      8 owl CBC. All that was missed of the wintering owls was Short-eared. The
      work of Michael and Gary is most appreciated as they discovered the very
      hard to find Spotted Owl. Bob Barnes was able to get a Long-eared Owl at
      Prince Pond on the Kern River Preserve. These birds rarely call in winter so
      it was a thrill to hear it.

      A new bird was added to the count with John Schmitt's - White-throated
      Sparrow. This species was also seen on Saturday by the team of Frank Gibson,
      Don Storm and David Chilton at a private residence in Weldon.

      A rare to the valley American Avocet was seen at Kissack Cove along with a
      yet unconfirmed dark mantled gull (teams are out today trying to verify if
      this gull is in fact something rare to the county).

      So, with all but two counts left in Kern County, this has been an exciting
      CBC season. Join the Tehachapi Mountain Birding Club for the final two CBCs
      of the season and start your New Year off right.

      Good birding and I wish everyone at least one county bird this year.

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA 93283