FYI: An invitation to the 8th Annual Hummingbird Celebration

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2006
      8th Annual Hummingbird Festival - <http://kern.audubon.org/hummer_fest.htm>

      Saturday, August 12th - 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

      Kern River Preserve - Audubon California

      18747 Hwy 178 - Weldon, CA 93283

      760-378-2531

      Join us for a day of marveling at North America's jewels of the sky.
      Thousands of visiting Rufous hummingbirds, which nest as far north as
      southwestern Alaska and winter in Mexico, attend our festival each year
      along with Anna's, Black-chinned, Allen's, Costa's and Calliope
      Hummingbirds! We are honored and amazed by the hummingbirds who visit the
      Kern River Preserve. We do our best to make this a special and important
      place for these little beings to raise their families or to stop and rest on
      their long and arduous migration.

      This year, a special treat as one of the world's best bird photographers,
      Bob Steele, will share his considerable knowledge, insights and passion for
      photographing hummingbirds with those who would like to learn how to capture
      these fleeting creatures on film or pixels. (Free but donation requested)

      Local experts will teach about native plant gardening for hummingbirds,
      feeding hummingbirds, and hummingbird identification.

      Schedule of Activities:

      9 a.m. Nature Walk through the Headquarters Area of the Kern River Preserve.
      Learn about the hummingbirds and other animals that can be seen around the
      preserve.

      9:15 a.m. Feeding Hummingbirds: A short lesson in hummingbird feeder
      maintenance and a recipe for hummingbird food.

      9:30 a.m. Hummingbird Identification Workshop: Indoor Presentation on how to
      tell our local hummingbirds apart.

      10 a.m. Hummingbird Gardening: Lesson in what plants attract hummingbirds
      and butterflies.

      10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. Hummingbird Photography: Professional Photographer Bob
      Steele will give a lesson in how to photograph hummingbirds.

      12:30 p.m. Nature Walk through the Headquarters Area of the Kern River
      Preserve. Learn about the hummingbirds and other animals that can be seen
      around the preserve.

      1:15 p.m. Feeding Hummingbirds: A short lesson in hummingbird feeder
      maintenance and a recipe for hummingbird food.

      1:30 p.m. Hummingbird Identification Workshop: Indoor Presentation on how to
      tell our local hummingbirds apart.

      2 p.m. Hummingbird Gardening: Lesson in what plants attract hummingbirds and
      butterflies.

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA 93283

      760-378-2029
      http://natureali.org <http://natureali.org/> - "Sharing the magic of
      central California's biodiversity with the world."