Status & Distribution: Costa's Hummingbird

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      Status & Distribution Note: Costa's Hummingbird

      Saturday, May 27, 2006 Gary Woods and I participated in the Sequoia
      National Forest Butterfly Count. Our small group of counters,
      completed by Ken Davenport and
      and Fred Heath, went first to Erskine Creek canyon, a known butterfly
      hotspot, located just south of the community of Lake Isabella. The
      area was profuse with blooming Yerba Santa.

      Soon after our butterfly searching began several of the nineteen
      creek crossings up the road, Gary called out "Costa's Hummingbird."
      Soon we had observed several Costa's Hummingbirds in several states
      of plumage. With them zipping all around, an exact count was
      impossible. But Gary had several individuals up the slopes and I had
      at least four in one spot down near the creek at one location. There
      were a lesser number of Black-chinned Hummingbirds and Anna's
      Hummingbirds present at this location, too.

      The first stop, with at least seven individual Costa's Hummingbirds
      tallied, was not entirely unique. At least two other stops along
      Erskine Creek Road made, on the return downhill to Lake Isabella,
      supported Costa's Hummingbirds at Yerba Santa.

      Whether these Costa's Hummingbirds were simply using the area
      temporarily to take advantage of the profuse Yerba Santa or had been
      there for the nesting season, I do not know. I suspect the former as
      this species has been banded high up in the Greenhorn Mountains when
      nectar producing flowers attractive to hummingbirds are in bloom in
      summer months.

      Bob Barnes