Northern Waterthrush and Solitary Sandpiper

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      Birders: The desert trips for the Biofest weekend were super. The
      cattle had done little damage to Butterbredt. There were ten of the
      eleven western warbler species seen - no Chat. In California City, we
      had a PECTORAL SANPIPER on Saturday, but not Sunday. At Galileo Hill,
      we had a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH and a SOLITARY SANDPIPER both days. A
      family of LONG-EARED OWLS was discovered (by Bob Barnes?) along Kelso
      Valley Rd. There are FIVE! downy young - fledged, but obviously still
      being fed by the adults. If you have birds to report for the Birdiest
      Inland County competition, email Bob Barnes at
      bbarnes@.... The count period was Friday through Sunday.
      We should break the old record for Kern County, which was 232 species.