Butterbredt Spring - cattle

  • Mary Prismon
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2006
      Hi Ali,
      I noted your advisory on April 25th for visitors not to spook cattle temporarily held in the Butterbredt Spring enclosure.
      Although it may be distressing to would-be birders like myself for the damage the cattle inflict, SMBAS appreciates your warning people off, or from possibly raising objections. Keith Axelson points out, the Agreement with Onyx Ranch, allowing us to build the fence, recognizes the occasional use of the enclosure for this purpose. It is their private property and our privilege to enjoy access for birding, with cattle generally being excluded. (There is no other pen anywhere near where the cattle could be held while in transit to a their final destination.) Hopefully, the bird migrants will not have been much impacted although we will have to look down as well as up while we search the cottonwoods.
      Regards,
      Mary Prismon
      SMBAS Conservation Co-chairman