Kern River Valley CBC highlights

  • Alison Sheehey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2001
      Happy New Year to all.

      These are some of the highlights of yesterdays "Lake Isabella" count.
      The total number of species was at an all time low due to the fact that
      it rained steadily all day. Many more birds will most likely be added
      for count week. Even with such dismal numbers the day did produce some
      "good" birds and great numbers.

      A Horned Grebe was spotted in the morning on Kissack Cove near Mtn. Mesa
      by Clark and Jean Moore and Terri Gallion.
      Several hundred Eared Grebe were working the shad off of Paradise Cove
      between Mtn. Mesa and Lake Isabella.
      I found a male Barrow's Goldeneye near a flock of 8 Common Goldeneyes on
      Lake Isabella's auxiliary dam at 4:20 pm.
      Both Bob Barnes team and my team spotted a female Red-breasted Merganser
      with a group of some of the +/- 1650 Common Mergansers from Engineers
      Point and the main dam region of Lake Isabella.

      20 Bald Eagles were sitting tight throughout the rainstorm producing the
      highest number ever recorded on the count.

      One Merlin was spotted but I do not know where. Gulls of day were
      interesting and probably will be more diverse during county week when it
      is not raining. We saw 2 Bonaparte's Gull and 6 Herring Gulls.

      On gulls, the Buena Vista count produced Three Mew Gulls and Herring
      Gulls on 12/22 at ~3:30 pm flying in to Buena Vista Lake in the southern
      valley. The California Aqueduct was awash with Greater Scaup as well as
      Lesser. A Hutton's Vireo was seen at BV park by Rich Redmond.

      The Tehachapi count was interesting in the number of Spotted Towhee's,
      it looks like a major irruption going on.

      Kern County has two more counts left if anyone wants to join in the fun.

      Thursday, January 3, 2002 - Red Rock Canyon, Kern Co. - Clark & Jean
      Moore, (661) 821-5303 Email: bvsbird@...

      Saturday, January 5, 2002 - South Fork Valley, Kern Co. - Denise
      LaBerteaux, (760) 378-4278 E-mail: EREMICO@...

      Good birding to everyone.

      Alison Sheehey
      3518 N. Chester Ave. #3
      Bakersfield, CA 93308

      Nature Ali - www.NatureAli.com *
      Educating the world about Kern County, *
      California's unique biodiversity. *