Ruber Red-breasted Sapsucker

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2006
      Birders: Out this morning before the torrents started to fall (most
      unusual for Bakersfield). We found a "ruber" subspecies RED-BREASTED
      SAPSUCKER in section 15 of Hart Park, northeast of Bakersfield. It
      certainly could be the same bird as last year's and the one which has
      been present each winter for several years, originally located by John
      Wilson. A pair of HOODED MERGANSERS were in Mirror Lake. Otherwise,
      an amazingly quiet day for birds.