Thayer's Gull, Greater White-fronted Geese

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2005
      Birders: Gary File and I birded the Goose Lake are of Kern County,
      this morning and found an adult-plumage THAYER'S GULL, 4 GREATER WHITE-
      FRONTED GEESE, 7 SNOW GEESE, and 2 MERLINS. We also observed at least
      50 WHITE PELICANS. To the north of Kern County in southern Tulare
      County, we had a single MOUNTAIN PLOVER. This lone bird was in the
      same area where hundreds have been reported recently, near the
      intersection of Ave. 24 and Road 80. As we were driving east on Ave.
      24, we saw a flight of 40+ SANDHILL CRANES.
      Michael McQuerrey
      moderator, kerncobirding