Swainson's Hawk, Varied Thrush, Townsend's Solitaire at Galileo Hill 9/29/05

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2005
      Today, Thursday, 9/29/05, we saw the following birds at Galileo Hill:
      We saw a Swainson's Hawk perched on a boulder west of the Pavilion. Later, the
      hawk soared over our heads. Ken took a photo of the Swainson's Hawk which is
      almost identical to the Swainson's Hawk -light juvenile 1st year that is in The
      Sibley Field Guide To Birds. We will place two photos of this hawk into the
      kerncobirding photo section this evening.
      We also saw a Varied Thrush ( near the canes in Galileo Campground area
      table #40), Townsend's Solitaire north of the tennis courts, Dark-eyed
      Junco-"Slate-colored Junco" near the Pavilion, Wilson's Warbler, and several
      Orange-crowned Warblers.
      We saw and photographed a mystery wren which we suspect may be a Winter
      Wren. We will place a photo of this mystery wren into the kerncobirding photo
      section this evening. We saw this wren this afternoon on a tree stump near the
      decorative wooden waterfall.