Owls. Owls, Owls Apr 30, May 1, & May 2, 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2005
      Hi,

      Please indulge me on this longer than usual kerncobirding posting.

      Some of you bird on your own, some with friends, some of you lead groups,
      some of you go on trips, some of you do a combination of the preceding. In
      any case, whether you are interested personally or not, please let people
      know of the following four opportunities to hear and see several of the
      elusive owl species in Kern County. I only subscribe to the kerncobirdimg
      list serv. I think these four advanced owling field trip offerings will
      have widespread appeal to birders from across the United States, if they
      hear or read about them. If you subscribe to other list servs that will
      help spread the word, please forward this message on to them. The CalBird,
      CA county listers, and cafestivals list servs would be good paces to start,
      but I am hopeful some of you subscribe to listservs across the U.S. and
      will forward this message on to those list servs, too. Thank you.

      The Kern River Valley BioFest is repeating the all night BioFest advanced
      owling field trip that last year, with returning leaders Dan Lockshaw and
      Bruce Webb, resulted in VISUALS WITHIN TWENTY FEET of FLAMMULATED OWL,
      WESTERN SCREECH-OWL, NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL, SPOTTED OWL, and NORTHERN SAW-WHET
      OWL in one night, magical night! One participant went on the next evening's
      Beginning Owling field trip and saw Barn Owl and Great Horned Owl resulting
      in visuals of seven species of owls, including the five hardest to get, in
      less than twenty-five hours.

      Here is how it will work this year...
      ***This year's trips will commence at 6:30pm, Fri, 30 Apr 05 and 6;30pm,
      Sat, 1 May 05.
      ***Leaders: Dan Lockshaw and Bruce Webb w. www.owling.com and
      www.optics4birding.com.
      ***Four separate field trips, two each on Friday/Saturday and
      Saturday/Sunday nights.
      ***Each trip limited to one car, leader and FOUR participants to insure the
      highest quality owling.
      ***Radio communication between the two leaders to maximize chances for
      success.
      ***This year, unlike last year, Bruce and Dan will go for them all. In
      addition to pursuing the five elusive species found up in the Greenhorns,
      they will go for Barn Owl, Great Horned Owl, Burrowing Owl, and Long-eared
      Owl on the South Fork Valley floor. Great Horned and Long-eared may be
      found in the Greenhorns, too.
      ***SIXTEEN total participants (4 trips of 4 people each, one car per trip)
      ***Details:
      http://kern.audubon.org/bioregionactivities.htm

      Although there can be no promise of success or access equal to the early
      May 2004 BioFest owling trip, with paved Hwy. 155 and Rancheria Road paved
      from Greenhorn Summit to Shirley Meadows being open regardless of snow
      pack, the habitats will be accessible. If the snow has melted and the dirt
      roads are dry, the other areas explored during last year's trip may be
      accessible, too.

      Dan Lockshaw has said, "Bob, if the weather is good, we will see owls."

      CAVEATS:
      ***It can be windy, although conditions were perfect last year.
      ***It can rain.
      ***Snowpack may prevent access to some of the backcountry dirt roads.
      ***You must wear very quiet, dark clothing.
      ***""You pays your money and you takes your chances!"

      Happy & Productive Owling,

      Bob Barnes & Associates
      P.O. Box 953, Weldon, CA 93283
      FedEx/UPS: 1009 Las Cruces Ave. Ridgecrest, CA 93555
      E-mail: bbarnes@...
      Phone: (760) 375-6140
      Web Sites:
      http://www.valleywild.org