Dead siskins

  • Nature Ali
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2005
      Hi All

      I heard of a bunch of siskins that died in Kelso Valley a few weeks back.
      Today, I found a dead American Goldfinch at the Kern River Preserve.

      I think the caution about taking down thistle feeders for a few weeks and
      bleaching all before putting them back up is well advised. The goldfinch may
      not have died of the salmonellosis but in case it was the cause, precaution
      seems wise. The feeders have been down for a few weeks but the remaining
      thistle on the ground may have been the source of the disease. Guess raking
      the ground and covering the seed is a good thing to do as well.

      Thanks,

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA
      93283

      760-378-2029
      Nature Alley - http://natureali.org
      Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.