Common Mergansers, Lake Isabella

  • Mary Prismon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2005
      Keith Axelson of Sageland phoned me a report at 1:00 PM today that he was observing a huge flock of Common Mergansers on the Lake, about 150 feet off-shore from the Paradise Cove area. There were at least 1,000 or more, including 50 easily distinguishable males. They seemed to be just cruising back and forth, possibly staying out of the wind. There were also a few Western Grebes in the mix and some gulls. He indicated he had never seen such a large gathering of this species before.
      He also saw a male and female Wood Duck, along with a Mallard, on Kelso Creek at Rocky Point, another first for that area.
      Mary Prismon
      Malibu California