Re: [kerncobirding] Common Ground-Doves

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2005
      At 04:39 PM 2/26/2005 -0800, you wrote:

      >A couple of months ago, a fellow birder rather casually mentioned to me
      >that they had seen Common Ground-Doves at the White Wolves Preserve in
      >the southern San Joaquin valley of Kern. He also told me that that
      >species was even listed on the preserve's bird check-list! Until that
      >moment I believed that the only record for Common Ground-Dove in the
      >central valley of Kern (and perhaps the entire San Joaquin Valley) was a
      >specimen at the L.A. County Museum of Natural History of a bird taken by
      >a local dove hunter a few falls ago. This afternoon, I took a drive out
      >that way and found five Common Ground-Doves without even leaving my
      >vehicle! This absolutely stupefies me! Is this a naturally occurring
      >population? When did they get here? And doesn't anybody ever look at
      >the range maps in their field guides? This represents a rather
      >significant range extension for this species and will probably go down
      >as the best kept birding secret in Kern County history! Shame on us!

      What a story!

      You know we will ALL now be out and about looking for Common Ground Doves all
      over Kern County. And, possibly (likely?) finding one or more in one or more
      "new" locations.

      The fact the species is on the official Wind Wolves checklist and had not
      permeated to the kerncobirding community in some manner is noteworthy (AKA
      amazing, stupefying, "shameless").

      Did you see the checklist? Do they list it as a year round resident? As a
      nesting species?

      Best,

      Bob Barnes & Associates
      P.O. Box 953, Weldon, CA 93283
      FedEx/UPS: 1009 Las Cruces Ave. Ridgecrest, CA 93555
      E-mail: bbarnes@...
      Phone: (760) 375-6140
      Web Sites:
      http://www.valleywild.org
      http://www.kernvalleyvision.org
    • Michael McQuerrey
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2005
        Birders: Ken and Brenda Kyle found 17 COMMON GROUND-DOVES in an
        orange grove about 3.5 miles north of the entrance to Wind Wolves
        Preserve, this morning. Gary File and I saw 5, at various times,
        but the Kyle's saw 4 in one flock and 13 in another, some distance
        from the first. It is and will be very difficult to determine the
        true size of this population of the doves because they spend the
        majority of their time among, between, under, and in the orange
        trees. Our best view of the morning came when Ken Kyle spotted two
        doves calmly feeding on the ground about 50 feet into the grove.
        THAT'S tricky birding! The location is at the junction of Highway
        166 and San Emidio Rd., in the southwestern most corner of the San
        Joaquin Valley, about 30 miles southwest of Bakersfield.