photo of Sandhill Cranes seen in Kern County 1-30-05 at Goose Lake

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      We have uploaded another photo in kerncobirding photo section of the
      Sandhill Cranes seen 1-30-05 in Kern County in order for you to see "Goose Lake."
      Goose Lake will not appear on most maps. We went to this location again on
      2-1-05, but we did not see the cranes. We suspect the fog may have prevented
      them from arriving at Goose Lake on 2-1-05. The following directions to Goose
      Lake are the same as posted on 1-30-05.
      On 1-30-05 at 11:45 we saw 13 Sandhill Cranes at Goose Lake. To get to
      this location exit Highway 99 and take Highway 46 through Wasco and west to
      Semitropic School. Approximately one mile west past Semitropic School turn left on
      McCoy St. and drive south to Jackson St. Turn right on Jackson St. and go
      west to the corner of Jackson St. and Wedell Rd. Stop at this intersection and
      look south toward Goose Lake. You would probably need a scope to locate the
      birds. We saw the birds directly south of this intersection at 11:45. They landed
      about 800 yards south of the intersection near the waters edge. Since they
      landed on private property, we asked for and received permission to take the
      photos of the Sandhill Cranes.