Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 10/26/04 east of Lake Ming

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      On 10/26/04 Ken took a digiscoped photo of a juvenile sapsucker. We sent
      the photo to a much more experienced birder who replied last night that he
      thinks this sapsucker is a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker due to the date of its
      juvenile plumage. He stated that juvenile Red-naped Sapsuckers are much more
      advanced out of juvenile plumage by the time they migrate.
      Brenda heard this bird tapping, and it was located by another birder in
      the pine tree southwest of the maintenance building of the upper picnic ground
      east of Lake Ming. This area is generally only used for large picnic groups
      who make reservations. There is a locked gate at the entrance to this group
      picnic area. We have never had park personnel object to our birding in the area.
      Ken and Brenda Kyle
      Bakersfield,
      California