FYI: Mystery bird consensus

  • Ali
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2004
      Birders,

      Thanks to all who played the little game identifying the mystery albino
      bird. Everyone who responded came to the same conclusion, partial albino
      House Finch. To recap, on Sunday, I saw a bird which at first had my almost
      jump out of my skin with excitement. Thinking life bird... McKay's
      Bunting... alas careful inspection of the photos I took revealed a bill far
      too conical for bunting. Add to the fact that the bird was hanging around
      House Finches and was the same size, I determined last night that it was a
      partial albino House Finch. Even though it is not a "rare" bird it is a rare
      bird. Not everyday you find such a striking example of the whims of nature.

      The eye is black, with an unusually large orbital ring. The bird was seen
      again at the vulture count site today and Terri Gallion reports it sang the
      typical House Finch song. It is a particularly pretty bird.

      Find photos of the bird and some other typical vulture watch site views at:
      http://www.natureali.org/TV_Count_photos.html

      Upon double checking yesterday's data, the number of migrating vultures was
      actually 3540, up 340 from the quick field tally. Keep up to date on the
      daily updates page: http://www.valleywild.org/TV_daily_Stats.htm

      2 more Northern Goshawks were seen... accipiters tend toward the larger two
      residents on this count... Cooper's and Goshawks, but the number of Goshawks
      is definitely up and noteworthy. This year was an unusually successful
      reproduction year for both Goshawks and Cooper's Hawks in the Sequoia
      National Forest, where I work as a seasonal biological technician.

      Good birding,

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA
      93283

      Nature Alley - http://natureali.org
      Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.