Re: [LACoBirds] Galileo's mistake

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2004
      Hi All,

      First, I want all to know that I am the birder who told Tom to go ahead and
      post his sightings at Galileo Hill.

      About a year ago, I met J. Peter Clarke, Managing Director of Silver Saddle
      Ranch & Club, and asked him directly for his position on posting
      information about birds seen at the resort to the Internet. His response
      was that he WANTS those reports to go out. Silver Saddle Ranch & Club is
      mostly a weekend operation. He would love to have more birders there during
      the week - staying in the hotel and eating in the restaurant. The resort
      even has a birdwatcher's hotel rate for Sunday through Thursday nights. The
      food is very good and the accommodations are comfortable and clean. They
      provide a wonderful location for viewing birds during both spring and fall
      migration and deserve patronage from birders who use the facility.

      Anyone who says anything different is working off of outdated information
      and should contact the resort to get the facts.

      Of course, as with any location, birders visiting the area should be on
      their best birding behavior. Park in the main parking lot - not at the
      petting zoo as in the past. Be respectful of the grounds, the staff, and
      the members.

      At 03:36 PM 2004-09-27 -0500, Thomas Miko wrote:
      >1) A person that I like and respect as a person and a birder wrote to me
      >that I should not post in public what birds I see at Galileo, since it is
      >on private property. This person wrote this email in a very polite,
      >respectful style. However, I called up and asked another well-known and
      >respected birder BEFORE I wrote the email about Galileo, and he said that
      >the idea of not posting Galileo birds is a mistaken belief, and that the
      >owners of Galileo do not mind at all. By the way: I always try to spend
      >money at Galileo by eating lunch there, and giving a nice tip. Ditto for
      >California City.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky, SoCA Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
      <mailto:steve@...> for general use
      <mailto:mobile@...> rare birds and emergencies only
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
      www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/ www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22