Stink ponds, 8/29/04

  • Michael McQuerrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2004
      Birders: Out today with Eagle-eye Gary File. Several of both
      WILSON'S AND RED-NECKED PHALAROPES were joined by 29 WHITE PELICANS
      at the Bakersfield Waste Water Treatment Plant, today. 9 CASPIAN
      TERNS squawked overhead. LESSER YELLOWLEGS, LEAST SANPIPERS, 1
      WESTERN SANDPIPER, BLACK-NECKED STILTS, AMERICAN AVOCETS, and
      CALIFORNIA GULLS loafed along the banks as the temperature rose. We
      counted at least 6 BURROWING OWLS along the banks and in the fields
      near the ponds. I would guess a careful monitoring of the owls
      would reveal an impressive number resident in a relatively small
      area. At Lake Ming, there was no sign of the Cassin's Kingbirds.