RE: [CALBIRDS] Re: Who's On First?

  • Ali
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2004
      On Fri, 30 Jul 2004: Joseph Morlan wrote:

      > The official California list as of June 2004 is at:
      > http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/ca_list.html

      FYI: I have incorporated the 45th supplement to the AOU checklist to the
      Kern County bird checklists. http://natureali.org/kernbirdchecklist.htm In
      addition several new thumbnail photos have been added on the photo checklist
      page. http://natureali.org/KC_BIRDS.htm

      With the split of the Cackling and Canada Goose and adding Matt Heindel's
      Whip-poor-will (don't know why I left it off in the first place). The only
      other change was the masculinization of the specific epithet for the Spotted
      Sandpiper. That makes the Kern list 420 non-introduced birds with 11
      introduced bringing the county total to 431. Of course on my official Kern
      list the Rose-ringed Parakeet as well as a few others are there.

      As for birding, the Piute Mountain Meadow surveys I have been conducting for
      the forest service have provided me with some really nice views of juvenile
      and migrant birds. Many warbler species are now on the move. Hermit,
      Black-throated Gray, Nashville, Wilson's and gobs of Orange-crowned.
      Juvenile Northern Goshawks are also taking to the sky. The other day at
      inspiration point in the Piutes, I found a tree full of Pygmy Nuthatches
      with Red-breasted and White-breasted there as well. Nice nuthatch sweep.
      Family groups of Sage Sparrows and a few juvenile Brewer's Sparrows have
      been moving through the sagebrush on the eastside of the Piutes.

      I have 2 more meadows to survey if anyone would like to join the fun. I'll
      be up there Monday and Tuesday from 5:30 - 10:00 a.m.

      Your's in nature,

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA
      93283

      Nature Alley - http://natureali.org
      Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.