3959AOU changes pertinent to Kern County

  • Ali Sheehey
    Jul 30, 2014
      HI Birders,
      I have updated the Kern County checklists of birds on my website to reflect the changes published today by the American Ornithologists’ Union. This list is also posted on my webpages.

      AOU  54th supplement, 2014. These are the following changes pertinent to Kern County only. Changes in this supplement include the following: Arctic Warbler was split into three species but the only recorded bird in Kern is the one that retains both the common and scientific name therefore this split does not change our list: Arctic Warbler (Phylloscopus borealis)

      Changes to common  names: Common Black-Hawk loses the hyphen between black and hawk becoming Common Black Hawk.
      Changes to generic names: none of note for Kern County Birders.
      Species split

      Arctic Warbler is split into the following species

      Arctic Warbler - Phylloscopus borealis - the only species that has wandered to California
      Kamchatka Leaf Warbler - Phylloscopus examinandus
      Japanese Leaf Warbler* - Phylloscopus xanthodryas

      Checklist sequence changes: The only consequence for Kern County birders is a reshuffling of the sequence of some of the doves.
      Old Order:

      Spotted Dove
      White-winged Dove
      Mourning Dove