3943White-winged Dove fledglings being fed

    Jun 4, 2014

      Shortly after I arrived home in Ridgecrest today from a morning of
      birding and a 2.5 hour meeting in the Kern River Valley, my partner
      Encarnacion informed me that she saw an adult White-winged Dove feeding
      two fledlings on top of the trellis in our back yard. When I asked her
      how she knew they were youngsters, she said they had short tails. I am
      hopeful of adding verification as that is likely enough proof to
      establish the first known successful breeding, nesting and fledging of
      young White-winged Doves in Kern County. It is thought these two young
      came from a nest in either the olive tree or cottonwood tree where Encar
      saw White-winged Dove adults delivery nesting material (sticks) a few
      weeks ago. Regardless, it seems as if the most interesting White-winged
      Dove happenings in and around our yard take place when I am off on my
      own birding adventures and attending many, many meetings in the Kern
      River Valley including at least one every day this week.

      Continued Happy & Productive Birding,

      Bob Barnes, 1009 Las Cruces Ave, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California

      Cell: 760-382-1260