382912/23/13 Tehachapi CBC
- Dec 23, 2013Hi,
Larry Parmeter (compiler), seventeen year old son Nathan Parmeter, Mary Dufrain, Carol Gates, and I were the five participants for today's Tehachapi Christmas Bird Count.
Mary found and photographed what appears to be a SOLITARY VIREO, possibly a CASSIN'S VIREO, which if accepted will clearly be the bird of the count. This bird was off Water Canyon Road just below Tehahchapi Mountain Park and several hundred feet above 4000'+ Tehachapi Pass on CA Hwy 58. Mary was asked to send the photo to Larry and me. If anyone who reads this message would like to take a look and tell us what you think, please contact me.
Other bird species considered to be of note for this elevation (4000'-7000') and/or location were:
- 1 Greater White-fronted Goose at Tom Sawyer Lake at the edge of long-abandoned Golden Hills Golf Course - Larry & Nathan.
- 1 Ross's Goose at Tom Sawyer Lake - Larry & Nathan
- 1 Canada Goose at Tom Sawyer Lake - Larry & Nathan
- c. 100 Canvasback - All
- c. 100 Bufflehead - All
- 1 Common Goldeneye at Tom Sawyer Lake - Larry & Nathan
- 1 Hooded Merganser at Brite Lake - Bob Barnes
- 1 White-tailed Kite at the dump - Larry & Nathan
- 1 Townsend's Solitaire in the woodland in the draw below Tom Sawyer Lake - Larry & Nathan
Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California