382912/23/13 Tehachapi CBC

    Dec 23, 2013

      Larry Parmeter (compiler), seventeen year old son Nathan Parmeter, Mary Dufrain, Carol Gates, and I were the five participants for today's Tehachapi Christmas Bird Count.

      Mary found and photographed what appears to be a SOLITARY VIREO, possibly a CASSIN'S VIREO, which if accepted will clearly be the bird of the count.  This bird was off Water Canyon Road just below Tehahchapi Mountain Park and several hundred feet above 4000'+ Tehachapi Pass on CA Hwy 58. Mary was asked to send the photo to Larry and me. If anyone who reads this message would like to take a look and tell us what you think, please contact me.

      Other bird species considered to be of note for this elevation (4000'-7000') and/or location were:
      • 1 Greater White-fronted Goose at Tom Sawyer Lake at the edge of  long-abandoned Golden Hills Golf Course - Larry & Nathan.
      • 1 Ross's Goose at Tom Sawyer Lake - Larry & Nathan
      • 1 Canada Goose at Tom Sawyer Lake - Larry & Nathan
      • c. 100 Canvasback - All
      • c. 100 Bufflehead - All
      • 1 Common Goldeneye at Tom Sawyer Lake - Larry & Nathan
      • 1 Hooded Merganser at Brite Lake - Bob Barnes
      • 1 White-tailed Kite at the dump - Larry & Nathan
      • 1 Townsend's Solitaire in the woodland in the draw below Tom Sawyer Lake - Larry & Nathan
      What was NOT detected might be more significant than what was detected... No shorebirds or gulls of any kind were detected including Killdeer! No wrens except Marsh! No Hermit Thrush! No detections of Vesper Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow - Yikes! - windy, very dry conditions, little to no seed crop, only five couinters.

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California

      Cell: 760-382-1260