3457Butterbredt Spring 4/27

  • Lori Arthur
    May 1, 2012
      Hello Kern birders,

      Butterbredt was almost migrant-free on Saturday. There was one each of HAMMOND'S, WESTERN, and GRAY FLYCATCHERS, a WESTERN TANAGER, and a few WILSON'S WARBLERS. Most interesting was a strange female blackbird moving slowly, vireo or flycatcher style, throught the upper branches. She looked very much like a Brewer's but was darker and very strange in behavior. I'm calling her an odd Brewer's for now.

      Butterbredt Peak was more productive. A CHUKAR, a singing CACTUS WREN, and some SAGE SPARROWS got the hike off to a good start. Some quail appeared, but they disappeared before I could get a good look and ID them. The highlight was a pair of PINYON JAYS  swooping over the brush just below the summit. Are these common at Butterbredt?

      INDRA SWALLOWTAILS were numerous at the top of the mountain, and a DESERT BLACK SWALLOWTAIL was reported from there on the butterfly listserver the next day.

      Noah Arthur, Oakland, CA