African Haiku by Stephen Davies

  • Gabi Greve
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2006
      a circle of blood
      where knee touches net
      african sunrise

      Read more of his haiku at SimplyHaiku, Autumn 2005, vol 3 no 3

      Stephen Davies is from York, England, but works among Fulani herders in Burkina Faso.

      Copyright 2005: Simply Haiku

      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

       Voice in the Desert

      It seems fitting to start by posting about one of the first missionary bloggers to hit the web.

      Stephen Davies has been blogging as "Voice in the Desert" from Burkina Faso since 2001.  One of his recent posts will give you an idea why he's not only a veteran blogger, but a popular one.  Steve won Africa Geographic magazine‚Äôs Travel Writer of the Year 2003 award, and is still using powerful words to describe life in Burkina Faso, West Africa.

      Take a couple of minutes to read "Peace only" from August 21, 2005.  We're on our way to the market with Steve, stopping to talk with people along the way.  The conversation is powerful.  I especially enjoy Steve's inclusion of proverbs.  The title of this entry is a Fulani proverb - Ko jemma boni fuu, weetu means Even if the night is bad, morning will come.

      Read other proverbs in a July post Fulfulde Sweet-talk.

      Visit the main Voice in the Desert site.

      http://www.missionary-blogs.com/200509.html#e2

      http://www.voiceinthedesert.org.uk/weblog/archives/2005/09/links.html

      Dr. Gabi Greve

      http://kenyasaijiki.blogspot.com/
    • Gabi for Worldkigo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2006
        > a circle of blood
        > where knee touches net
        > african sunrise
        >
        > Read more of his haiku at SimplyHaiku, Autumn 2005, vol 3 no 3
        > http://www.poetrylives.com/SimplyHaiku/SHv3n3/haiku/stephen_davies%
        20.html

        > Stephen Davies is from York, England, but works among Fulani
        herders in
        > Burkina Faso.
        > Copyright 2005: Simply Haiku
        >
        > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        :::::::::::::::::::::::

        From his voice in the Desert
        http://voiceinthedesert.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/movabletype/mt-
        search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=3&search=haiku

        'Voice in the Desert' is created and maintained by Stephen Davies.

        haiku #20
        moonlit dune a lone donkey gazing at Pleides...

        haiku #19
        on the warm brown skin of a djembe drum a gecko blinks...

        haiku #18
        a firefinch alights on a dry thatched roof sahara dawn...

        haiku #17
        the sound of raindrops and ecstatic croaking of unseen frogs...

        haiku #16
        in dark glasses and swathes of indigo the chief ventures out...

        haiku #15
        horns of a cow black crescents silhouetted on an orange sky...

        haiku #14
        bowing low I see ants on a peanut shell sallifana prayer...

        haiku #13
        desert before dawn aquarius is waning allahu akbar...

        haiku #12
        shepherd's staff and golden breadfruit falling together...

        haiku #11
        grain in the mortar she chooses a pounding song evening descends...

        haiku #8
        stumbling onwards a tear glistens in her eye in her hooves gravel...

        haiku #7
        african morning vultures gather on the roof someone sobs...

        haiku #5
        african sunshine pupils contract to a dot it still hurts to look...

        haiku #4
        harmattan season white calf too weak to stand up darkness engulfs
        her...

        haiku #2
        terrified children daring each other to touch the rain spider...