Upland Rice

  • Greve Gabi
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2013
      Upland Rice in Japan

      Two rice ecotypes, the so-called lowland and upland populations, which carry different isozyme genotypes mostly at a single locus, are cultivated in Japan.

      HERE
      is a sholarly article about it.
      http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1003142817509#page-1

      Such a great observation, keep looking for more!

      Gabi

      upland rice -
      We are used to rice grown under irrigation with much water ofcourse.But do you know  that we can still grow rice with little water and not under irrigation systems?Here is the are some details of this issue to keep you all knowing.
      Upland rice can be grown in green houses or even on the normal kind of land. We use a variety of rice known as upland rice that is planted as seeds just as one would do as you plant beans. Upland  rice take approximately 4-5 months to be completely mature and ready for havesting.Under  normal circumstances upland rice is planted using C.A.N type of  fertilizers for better growth. After a period of  1 and a half months or so, we top dress using DAP type of  fertilizers.
      MORE by James

      Dear Kenya haijin,

      James, your article on upland rice is fascinating -- I too did not know that this is being cultivated in Kenya. Have you had the chance to taste it? Gabi sensei, do you know whether there is this type of rice cultivation in Japan too?

      Isabelle.

      :::::::::::::::::::::::::

      ------------------------------------

    • Patrick Wafula
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2013
        Wow! This is very educative, informative! Can be used as information toward enhancing food security in our country and other developing ones.

        Thanks all of you who are contributing to this, and to James for introducing it.

        Patrick.

        Wafula Wa Wanyama's iPhone

        On Aug 18, 2013, at 6:50, Greve Gabi <gokurakuatworldkigo@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Patrick Wafula Wanyama
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2013
          Dear Isabelle san,
          Do we have rice as kigo or topic in Kenya saijiki?

          Patrick.